British gossip paper News of the World is quickly losing advertisers after phone hacking allegations have been brought to light. This is not the first time the Rupert Murdoch-owned magazine has been accused of tapping phones. English celebrities have previously sued the paper for doing so.
English Prime Minister vows Parliamentary inquiry
David Cameron, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, has vowed that Her Majesty’s Government will hold an inquiry into phone hacking by gossip tabloid News of the World and other newspapers after a police investigation into the matter concludes, according to CNN. The inquiry will focus on allegations that News of the World reporters hacked into the voice mail of Milly Dowler, a 13-year-old girl who had gone missing from her home in Surrey, the county bordering London to the southwest. Dowler was later found to have been murdered, according to MSNBC, and reporters are accused of deleting some of her voice mail messages, which could mean they interfered with a police investigation. The paper was also found to have hacked into the voice mail accounts of loved ones and the victims of the July 7, 2005, London subway bombings.
In response to the allegations published by English newspaper The Daily Telegraph, advertisers are leaving News of the World, part of NewsInternational, the English wing of the NewsCorp media empire owned by Rupert Murdoch. Ford UK has canceled all business with the paper, according to The Guardian. Joining Ford in the exodus from the paper are Virgin Holidays, the travel agency wing of Virgin, General Motors’ British line Vauxhall Motors, banking group Halifax, and the Co-op group, a large group of consolidated cooperative stores. Procter & Gamble and Coca-Cola are rumored to follow. Other companies such as Vodafone, one of Britain’s largest cellular phone carriers, and T-Mobile are said to be monitoring the situation. Car makers Renault and Mitsubishi also canceled all pending advertising with the paper, according to The Telegraph.
Gossip mag said to have frequently tapped phones
The London Metropolitan Police are currently investigating whether the paper interfered with any criminal investigations. This is not the first instance of News of the World being accused of phone hacking. Reporters and investigators in the employ of the paper are accused of hacking the phones of Jude Law, Hugh Grant, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sienna Miller, Prince Charles, former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, families of murder victims Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, and murder victim Danielle Jones and her family. Reporters from News of the World are also accused of paying officers of the London Metropolitan Police for information, which is illegal.
The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/06/news-of-the-world-advertising
The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8620342/News-of-the-World-phone-hacking-advertisers-pull-out.html
Do you have a fantastic idea related to this article, but just don't have the money you need to start your own company or side-business? Get the loans you need from https://personalmoneynetwork.com to help get your new company underway, from the small loan professionals at PersonalMoneyNetwork.