Photo of the pandora logo.
Pandora is officially going public. CC by SqueegyX/Flickr

About 50 percent of those who listen to radio online listen to Pandora. The first set of paperwork required by the SEC has been filed by Pandora for an initial public offering. The prospectus was filed Feb. 11, 2011. The Pandora IPO is expected to raise about $100 million.

Stockholders to own Pandora after IPO

The Pandora initial public offering has been set in motion with an initial filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. An SEC approval would mean that Pandora could start selling company stock, which would take place in six to eight months from now. Estimates say that Pandora would be able to raise about $100 million by selling stock in the company. Stockholders would own Pandora, its Music Genome Project data and its library of 800,000 songs after an IPO.

The beginning of Pandora

In 2000, what is now Pandora started the Music Genome Project. For five years, the company categorized all the music it could get its hands on. The form, fashion and style of groups were recorded, analyzed and labeled by musicians the company hired. Spreading new music to listeners was Pandora’s main goal. In 2005, Pandora started streaming music online and helping listeners find music based on what they said they liked. It now makes the majority of its money from advertising.

Financial burdens facing Pandora

Pandora’s largest expense comes from buying music licenses, and that is what led to the IPO. About 60 percent of Pandora revenue is used on licensing alone. The fees to get the music are pretty high. Currently, only about 3 percent of Pandora users actually pay a membership fee. The service is used by the other 97 percent of those on Pandora to listen to the 40 hours a month of free time they are allowed. There are Pandora competitors out there trying to fight their way to the top. However, the Music Genome Project is only available at Pandora.

Articles cited

LA Times: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/02/pandora-ipo.html

Forbes: http://forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/02/11/technology-us-tec-pandora-ipo_8304894.html

Post By bryanh (1,420 Posts)

Connect

Do you have a fantastic idea related to this article, but just don't have the money you need to start your own company or side-business? Get the loans you need from https://personalmoneynetwork.com to help get your new company underway, from the small loan professionals at PersonalMoneyNetwork.

PG&E to pay $70 million for pipeline tragedy

PG&E to pay $70 million for pipeline tragedy

Pacific Gas and Electric Co., a northern California utility, has agreed to pay $70 million to the California town of San Bruno for a pipeline explosion that killed eight people in 2010. Company says it’s remorseful The San Francisco-based power company’s president, Chris Johns, released a statement Monday, saying PG&E is sorry and eager to […]

Judge stabbed and deputy shot in Washington courthouse

Grays Harbor County Courthouse

Following a standoff in a Washington state county courtroom Friday, a man reportedly escaped after shooting a sheriff’s deputy in the shoulder and stabbing a judge in the neck. The man is still at large. Treachery among the tree farms The incident occurred Friday afternoon in the western Washington town of Montesano, which bills itself […]

Microraptor was one flashy little dinosaur

Microraptor fossil

A team of Chinese and American scientists have found that Microraptor, a small four winged dinosaur that went extinct about 130 million years ago, was likely black and almost certainly had glossy, iridescent feathers. Until now, the coloring of extinct creatures was a matter of pure speculation. That may no longer be the case. The […]

Autocorrected message leads to school lockdown

Homage to the Sun

Adjacent schools in Georgia were locked down for two hours Wednesday after a text message reportedly warned of a “gunman” on campus. Later, it was learned that the message was the result of a smartphone autocorrect function, attempting to “fix” the misspelled slang word “gunna.” A series of mixups A series of mixups led to […]